Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Opening New Pathways (Bird by Bird)

   I would first like to start off by saying that these few chapters were some of the best ones yet. It's fascinating the way that the mind of the author of this book works. Some of her techinques seem almost juvenile, but they work very well. Here were some of the few that I liked that I just finished reading about.
   The idea of using broccoli as your inner voice was astounding. I've never thought of something so farfetched to actually help continue with what you are writing. I mean, I always new that there was an inner voice to help guide you along, but to relate it to the idea that it's like when you're a child and you're trying to think of how to eat your broccoli was just great. It made the whole idea of "inner voice" all the more interesting to hear about.
   The next one would have to be "the radio station KFKD". I'll be honest, at first I thought it was an actually radio station (that's my stupidity sticking out). It was great to read about how everyone faces that noise in there ear that's telling them that they are doing something wrong or trying to discourage what they are doing at that very moment the "station" enters your brain waves. I like the way that she made this known in such a fun way that I'm sure everyone can relate to.
   The final idea that I liked was the index cards. I can say that I won't be carrying around index cards for better memory (although I could so use the memory boost). It's actually really smart, and I would do it, only problem is that I don't think I'd take the time to actually write down my thoughts in the middle of the day when I'm attempting to accomplish something else. Maybe when I get to be as old as dirt (though I hope that day never comes) I will take that idea so I don't become to forgetful and become senile. That just goes to show that this class, as well as this book, can help with life in general, not just with writing.

1 comment:

  1. great responses here these past few weeks... keep thinking and writing.. well done.

    ReplyDelete