Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bird by Bird (Continued)

  As I continued reading more into Bird by Bird, I loved the examples she used to make writing easier. To not sound so vague, her example about writing about what you have for lunch is crazy. I never thought anything about my parents making my lunch, mostly because I didn't brown bag it, but in the case of other kids who did all the time, it's astounding. I guess it is a very good example to describe something that you are very familar with, such as what you eat every day.
   Next, I think using a polariod picture to explain how a story unfolds was genius. Just the fact that you don't know what it will look like until it developes was great. I mean obviously you will have an idea of what it will look like, but you will never know fully until that picture (story) is fully developed. I also feel this is a great way to relate modern day photography, past day photography and writing a convincing tale. This is a great way to make understanding writing easier for certain individuals who may be interested in such fields.
   The idea of set design, I believe, falls in the same box as the polariod idea, slightly. Once you can create a breath taking space, then the story practically writes itself. It should also end up like the polariod would, you think you know what it will turn, but you really don't. A great description of the space your story takes place in is key. It is better to have to much then not enough (in most cases).
   The book as a whole is great! Besides the fact of slowly teaching us key strategies for writing, it also has great examples and story on the side that are fun and have a purpose. At first, I wasn't truly sure of the purpose of this book, but I think I'm slowly warming up to it. I'm curious to see exactly how she will further instruct and entertain as the book comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment