Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Strange New Worlds

   As I was reading Fluorescence, which I finished about a week ago, there was one entry that really stood out to me. I'm going to go into great detail about the many things this tale made me think of. On page 76 there is a short tale called Looking Glass.This short story hit a lot of memory banks in my mind, as well as just random thoughts.
   First of all I thought of Alice in Wonderland when I read this selection, only for the reason of being in a realm much different then your own. To think of a world where a man vomiting salmon is considered normal was just a silly, and grotesque thought. What was even more revolting was the fact that the people around this gentleman were trying to decide on how to prepare these salmon for a meal, gross. So much unlike our own world.
   This lead to my next thought, which led towards the idea of many different kinds of worlds. I mean, in a way, most people would say that there being many different worlds out there is impossible. Narrow minded people would say that it would be like thinking of alien planets, which, I guess, is always a possibility. I'm thinking more along the lines of how China is like a world away from the U.S. or how India is like a different world compared someone who has lived in Japan for many years. People think that to be a different world, it has to be far away, or be run by aliens, but what they don't realize is that Earth is a planet, full of many "worlds".
   Then this final thought led me to one of my favorite video games that is all about the many different kinds of worlds, in Disney, and that video game is Kingdom Hearts. One reason I love this game so much, not only because I grew up with Disney, is becuase it takes you to so many different "worlds". It installs this thought in your brain that maybe different worlds really aren't such an impossible thought to wrap your head around. It also helps to emphasize on the idea that if your closed minded, you'll be missing out on a lot of what's out there, not only "different worlds" but opportunities.
   I have a challenge for you. How many worlds would you say you've been, or are, a part of? If you truly think about it, I'm sure your list will be endless, or atleast pretty close. It never hurts to think in new perspectives, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment